Saturday, October 8, 2011

Project Runway: Designing for the Birds

I really enjoyed this weeks challenge on project runway. Possibly because I have been working on my daughters halloween costume that may just be a certain bird... (that will be shared next week :) I just really loved the birds as inspiration. Now lucky for me I am making a costume so I should be literal with my inspiration, the designers on the other hand, they are making wearable fashion not a costume, however some were a little too literal for the judges I actually think they all did a great job, except for Bert... His dress was just so very ho hum to me. So this week there were a couple twists, they were paired up again... (I know groan over another blasted team challenge....) Only this time it was because they were battling against their "teammate". One would be in the top and one would be in the bottom. Then they were also told that they had to make 2 looks and it was only in the final few hours that they were then told that only one look would go down the runway. Ironically the top three used their second look to go down the runway and the bottom three stuck it out with their first look... So let's get down into it. 


 Anya was the winner this week. It's becoming pretty clear that she will likely win the competition. I love Anya and I love her designs, I just kind of agree with Joshua who was fuming about his loss to Anya, since she didn't design a way in and out of the garment so the model had to be sewn in and cut out at the end of the runway show. That is how you can tell she has been sewing for 4 months (which frankly I think she has proved herself enough and people should stop brining it up) She should however design a way in and out of clothing since women buying the clothes are not going to sew themselves in and cut themselves out of clothing. Still though, I love her work, and apparently so do the judges.
 Laura was the one that went up head to head with Anya, the raven was the bird they were to be inspired by. I really liked this look and thought Laura really stepped it up, but the judges pretty much hated it. They through the collar was too literal, the pants were too tight and that it looked like the actual bird. Funny thing is I don't think it looks like a costume but it looks like she was, oh I don't know, inspired by a bird? I mean come on why give these challenges and then knit pick because someone added fringe looked too bird like? Forget that it looks bird like it looks cool. (in my opinion)
 Bert was the one sent home. His dress was just boring to me, and I didn't care much for the colors. He admitted to struggling this week since he hated his bird and found nothing inspiring about the color (which he hid) Funny thing is that I don't think he had to use the birds colors to be inspired by the bird, but snake skin bodice? Did the snake eat the bird? Is that the bird hiding in it's stomach? The one thing I have to say is I am impressed with the judges abilities to let go of Bert, even if they did talk about how he did so many "amazing" things before, ummm, I don't recall amazing work.... However Bert was actually really pleasant, he made nice with all the designers before he left, and he was not a sore loser at all, like I figured he would be. So good on you Bert.
 Joshua went up against bert. The parrot was their inspiration. Joshua did not use the colors of the bird but came up with this tropical looking dress. I have to say draped dresses like this are not always my favorite, but this one did have some interesting drape on the side. He didn't win even though he though he should, he is kind of a baby and a brat, and I am overall sick of him, but I fear that he will somehow make it to fashion week...
 Kimberly pulled this lovely gown out in 3 hours. She was really struggling this week her designs were just not that great, and then the dress got burnt by a glue gun... (which sounded like she tried to blame Victor for on the runway... that was weird) So after breaking down and crying, having the wonderful Tim Gunn come rescue her with a great big hug. (it's hard not to love Tim) I loved the cut of the dress, and the color was soft and beautiful and there was great flow. I think she could have won.
Victor went up against Kimberly this round. Now I like Victor, I love his designs and I think he will likely end up in the top, however, his accusations that "everyone" is copying him need to end. He claimed that Kimberly stole his design because her final gown was also one shoulder. I am sorry Victor did you create the one shoulder look? Because I was fairly certain that one has been around for a long time. Now the judges were not terribly fond of the feathery look Victor made but I think it is soft and lovely. Also he made each of those "feathers" out of chiffon which is pretty cool. SO overall I liked his look I just want him to drop this attitude.

So what were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment