Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Raglan Top

After making tees for Jude all week last week I thought I would make a few up for Abbey as well. I was keeping it pretty simple with the designs and I made two tops out one old shirt and 1/2 a yard of fabric (with enough left in the scraps for a third top even) So I will share all three, over the next few days.
To start I had a pink knit top. (I know pink... it is pretty unlike me to use pink ever...) It was a long sleeve sweater like top, that actually came from my Shwin. (thanks shwin you are the best) So I simply followed this tutorial I did while back for a raglan top. Only this time I did the sleeves without the gathering, just trace them as you would normally. Then assemble the shirt the same way as that top.
Easy right? Especially for me since I just redirected you to an old tutorial! Ha! So as you can see I used the sleeves from the old top for the sleeves on this on. I used the original cuffs to save me sewing time. Then I used this great jersey knit print I found at hobby lobby, that matched perfectly. The print is design enough for this top (even though I considered adding a little bird in the corner)
For the neck I cut off and used the original ribbing of the top, then I just sewed right sides together. I did top stitch I just was sure to use a stretch stitch so the opening would stretch around her head without busting a seam.
That's all there is to it. A simple shirt for cool summer evenings and the approaching fall (shhhh... let's pretend it's not really coming)
I just love how effotless and comfortable simple knit tops are.

No comments:

Post a Comment