Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vintage Inspired Overalls

You never know where you will get inspiration from. For these vintage inspired overalls that I started quite awhile back and then put on hold since summer seemed forever away were inspired by this picture:
This is my daughter's Great Grandpa Dutch back when he was a wee little lad. My heart melted a little when I saw his cute little face (which looks an awful lot like my little kiddos faces) those puffy cute overall romper. Let's just say it inspired me to make a fun little summer play romper with a nod to this cute little 80+ year old picture. 

Complete with puffy legs, and some ruffled chiffon layers to bring a little vintage and feminine charm to the look. Want to make your own? They are easier then it seems...



Start by laying out a top and pants folded in half to create a pattern for the back first. Be sure that the pants and shirt overlap just as they do when worn together.  

Then fold the top of the shirt down just to where you want the top the overall to be. and trace.

For the back and back only add a flap along the same side as the curve of the back pant. This is for the button flap in back. 

Next trace the pants, these pants were already wide in the leg so I only added a little extra width but you want the leg to be wider for the puffy leg effect. 

Then you should have two pattern pieces one front and one back with a flap.

Next sew one front and one back leg together along both sides.
up to the crotch on one side...

on the other side sew up to the back flap.

Then you will sew the two legs together by placing right sides together and sewing along the "u" curve from the front to the back.

Next I made a top lining by cutting off the top of my pattern and using that as my lining pattern. I cut the front piece on a fold and cut two back pieces. then sew them together. 

Then sew the lining to the top of the overall.

This is a terribly blurry picture but when you get to the bottom of the flap in back sew the lining pieces together then turn it to the inside.

Then Cuff the bottom of the pant leg under and put some elastic in. Sew in place to secure.

This picture shows what the lining and pants will look from the side.

Then for the back I used some vintage stone buttons I picked up at a flea market some time ago, they added the perfect vintage charm.

Next I used some trim I picked up that had a slight ruffle of chiffon attached to a ribbon, I liked this since the ribbon finished the raw edge of the chiffon, but you could use regular chiffon if you want. I had two slightly different shades, a creamy white and a beige. I Gathered a few sections even tighter to create little puffs.

Then I did a few layers of the trim across the top of the alternating the colors. Then down one side I added a few puffs in layers and sewed a few pearls mixed in. Lastly I added straps. Then I was done.

Now my little one has a comfy and fun overall romper for all of her summer adventures.

We are linking to some of our favorite parties

No comments:

Post a Comment