Monday, March 12, 2012

Super Hero Tote

 So as you all know by now I have a super hero loving, bad guy fighting little boy in my house. I have been having so much fun making him things lately and this cute little super hero tote is no exception, it was quick and easy and Jude loves it. (especially to carry around his Superhero Dolls) Which I was thinking would make a great gift for any of his superhero loving friends as well.
 It all started when I got this great package in the mail from Next Style Fashion Art Projects. They sent me a slew of fun things to create with. The tote bags come in packs of three and can be found at any walmart store. They are a great canvas material and super fun and easy to decorate. They are the perfect size for library totes, or as Jude likes to use it to carry is toys from one room to the other.
 On a recent trip to the fabric store (Joann Fabrics) Jude picked out this comic book print that he "just had to have"  I bought a half a yard since it was a cool print and I have some fun plans with it. Jude wanted a shirt, (possibly to go with these pants) Instead I cut a strip of the comic books to sew on to the bag.
 I pressed the edges under all around.
 Then top stitched it down tot he back nice and close to the edge.
 Next since I can't find more freezer paper anywhere (what's up with that?) I cut out Jude's name using vinyl. Then I just stuck it down, works the same as freezer paper even though freezer paper sticks a little better. I wanted the name to match the style of the letters on the comic book covers. (the red, white and blue one) So I added a strip down the middle of each letter to cover for the first layer of paint.
 I grabbed some paint brushes and some fabric paint in red white and blue.
 Then I painted on the red and the blue first.
 Then I peeled up the center pieces.
 Then I painted the center (being careful to get it nice and neat along the already painted edges. (the white is barely a different color than the bag so it's a little hard to see but you can see it better in real life)
 Then I peeled up the whole stencil and that was it. The bag was done.
 For a Captain America loving boy the bag was perfect. Jude was thrilled to try his new bag out. (yes Jude is wearing his cargo pants. I think he has worn them for a week straight)
He decided the bag would be a perfect "parachute" for his super hero doll. I love a kid with an active imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment