Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Monogram Plaque

 Do you want to know the worst part about Christmas being over? Taking down the holiday decorations. Christmas is the only holiday (besides a few pumpkins for fall) that I decorate for. Then when it is over and I have to take it all down my shelves and house always look so bare and plain, and I find that it is time for a new look. So over the next little while I will be posting a few decor items here and there until things are finally put together. The first one is the easiest one. You see I was a little spoiled this christmas, and I got the Silhouette Cameo. Let me tell you this machine is everything I hoped for and more. I am in love with it. I love that the machine can do things I always wanted to do but failed, like cutting my own vinyl letters... epic fail, cutting detailed freezer paper stencils... fail. Making my own detailed art pieces... yeah I am just not that good. So I love that I can do those types of projects now (and more) For example I love ornate looking frames. You know all of those swirly details. Well I can never find one like everyone else can at some thrift store for a buck. I can however cut out the shape with the Silhouette, so that's what I did.
 I started with a plain wood plaque I got at the craft store. Any piece of wood would do just fine really. I painted mine white. Then instead of using vinyl I just cut my designs out using a piece of textured card stock. I used a frame I got from the online store from silhouette and then I added a W. Since I like to combine traditional and modern, I went with a modern looking W for the ornate frame. You could of course print out a template and cut out your own design with scissors.
 Then I wanted the paper to have a 3D effect off the wood so I used foam stickies to stick it down.
 Just place a few to secure the corners.
 I did the same for the W
 Then stick them on to the plaque.
 See how they have the raised effect from the wood? I also love the texture on the card stock.
So there you have it a really quick and easy project. Now I just have to get the rest of the shelves ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment