Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Re-finishing a stand mirror

For Abbey's room I wanted her to have a lot of little girl charm. So when I saw this old stand mirror in the basement of my in-laws house I just had to ask if I could have it for her room. They were more than happy to get rid of it, and the matching dresser (that will be a fun project later) The dresser went in her closet for now but the mirror needed some help since it would be out in the room. It's hard to tell but the paint is chipping badly, faded and discolored and the mirror is falling a part a little. I don't have a step by step for you on this one since it is pretty straight forward.

I can tell you I started by taking the mirror off the stand, and stabilizing the legs with some extra nails. Then I took my favorite product liquid sander, and with some elbow grease and time you simply apply the liquid sander to a rag and rub rub rub away. Keep rubbing until all the gloss is off the wood. It leaves the wood a little sticky feeling, but it helps the paint stick and works like sanding but without the mess, and without sanding away little details, the mirror had a lot of them. Lastly I took an actual sanding block just to the chipped edges to smooth them out, and I used wood filler to fill any little wholes and dents. 
Then it was on to paint. I didn't prime, you should, the only primer I had on hand was oil based and I didn't want to deal with the mess of cleaning the oil based brush so I skipped it. It only took two coats of paint to look good as new so I am ok that I skipped the primer.  

 Bam! Bright and clean new mirror and it only took one afternoon of time.
 Sorry the picture is a little yellow... not the best lighting...
I left the hardware of the mirror the yellow that they were to accent the teal.
I love the little pops of yellow it provides and it highlights the charm of all the little details.
It is looking great in her room already but it's far from done... reveal soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment