Thursday, June 30, 2011

Casual Summer Baggies

 Today I whipped up a very simple summer solution. Casual summer baggies. What are baggies? (besides the things used to pack sandwiches in) Well when I was trying to figure out how you would classify this pair of shorts I discovered that long (to the knee) loose fitting or baggy shorts are called baggies. It summed up these shorts perfectly. Although they would be simple to make tighter and shorter if you wanted to. I will likely make several more pairs of all different fits for all different looks. They are so easy so simple I whipped them up in about 15 min.
 Best time saver? I used the bottoms of pants that I had already cut off into shorts for myself a few years back, I saved the bottoms of the legs, cause that's the kind of thing I do, and since I found them during the move I knew just what how o use them. So you save tons of time since you use the side and bottom hem.  Let's get started shall we?



 Start by laying out the pant leg (or new denim if you don't have a pant leg) Then I grabbed a loose fitting pair of pants but you can use any pair to trace. I simply lined up the old pair with the side seam. Instead of following rules for this pair of shorts I followed the slope for the back for both the front and back so there would be room for the diaper. It was a time saver but not the "right" way. Cut up to the waist line of the pants and make it straight across.
 Then you should have two cut out.
 With right sides together sew the inside leg from the bottom hem to the top of the curve. Then Turn one leg right side out and line up both legs right sides together (one inside the other) to sew the middle seam connecting the two legs.
 Next I made a tube out of some ribbing that was the size of my daughters waist when stretched comfortably. Pin the tube to the top waistline of the pants and sew it stretching the ribbing tightly as you sew. That's it really no elastic, nothing. The ribbing will hold the pants up and it is more comfortable than elastic. Simple comfy and ready for wear.
 I love the casual look of the baggy short or "baggies"
 It was a great way to add to Abbey's summer wardrobe and use up my denim scraps.
 And since they are so casual and comfortable they won't slow her down or hinder her running through the sprinklers on a hot summer day play.

No comments:

Post a Comment