Thursday, May 10, 2012

The State Tee {Boys Summer Collection}

 Ok I know I am not breaking ground here. State tees and other state crafts have been around for a while. However, not being from just one state I didn't want to limit to just one state, but simply highlight a state, but include the whole country. Jude loves learning where the other states are, like where my family lives, and where I am from, and other states. So here is a quick tutorial for how to do this using heat transfer vinyl.
 A quick and easy project to spice up a tee, or cover a stain if you have an old tee you want to use.
 So grab a tee. I got mine at old navy for a couple bucks. It had a pocket but that was no problem I just used a seam ripper to remove the pocket. Remember to save your pocket it can be used in other projects.
 Then measure across the width of the tee shirt, so you know how wide to make your picture.
 Now I used a free shape from Silhouette and I used the silhouette cutter to cut the map out, but this could really easily be done by printing out a shape of the country (or any country) and using that as a stencil to cut the vinyl. (it can be cut with scissors)
 Then press the vinyl down where you want it with a hot iron. This can take some time and a lot of heat to get it to stick. Then peel the plastic from the image.
 Next I cut out a little state. Utah is an easy state to cut but with some of the more challenging shapes you can use a stencil. I cut it from vinyl as well since you can layer.
 Then I pressed it down the same way. I wanted there to be a little more "pop" and dimension so I stitched around the edges.
 I did the same for the country for an added something something. Then I added a little french knot on the state where we are. Simple.
 That's all there is too it. A simple and fun tee that is ready to go.
 Which could easily be Jude's favorite tee that I made, he wears it every time it is clean... and sometimes when it is not.
You know for fighting bad guys and what not... He is a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment