Friday, February 24, 2012

Playroom Reveal {Before and After}

Well today is the day of the "big reveal" 
I am even sharing before pictures but let's not judge. The playroom had zero effort put towards it since we moved in until now. Which was fairly obvious as to why the kids didn't really like to play in the the playroom. It was pretty bad. 

 As you can see plain white walls. (let's pretend they don't look pink in the picture) Toys just scattered about. The kids playroom is in the basement and even though it does get a lot of sunlight from the window it is still a basement and that always has a "creepy" feel to me, but since the basement is fully finished and accounts for 1/2 the square footage of the house I really wanted the playroom to be as cheerful and welcoming as any other room in the house. So the walls got a fresh coat of paint in a pale earthy green. (with a small splash of white as an accent above the wall to wall shelf)
 Yes those are kids in Pajamas, (yes Jude's pajama's are 3 sizes too small have you ever tired to tell a 4 year old he has out grown something?) yes that was also improved in the "after" picture where they are fully dressed. The new curtains and removal of the cardboard moving boxes as toy storage were a huge improvement right off the bat.
 Now all the toys are stored neatly away in bins, dolls went in a new toy box, baby toys were stored away and toys they no longer play with or broke were thrown away or donated. (I think we got rid of half their toys in the process it was good :) The closet has floor to ceiling cubbies that store all of their books (sorry no pictures of the closet) The closet also stores the large play-sets (other than the doll house) that can be pulled out when in use and put away when they are done. So here are the details:
 I used my silhouette machine A LOT I went a little vinyl happy, but it was fun and I like the outcome. I created labels for all the drawers so they clearly knows what belongs where. It also helps learn reading along the way which is a plus. I put the alphabet on the wall just above their slide, and I put their names above their desks to clearly mark their workplace.
 One side of the room is their art and creating side. We hung a wall to wall shelf. I cut out vehicle shapes using the silhouette, I just cut them from colored cardstock and stuck them on to a piece of white paper. Stuck them in some frames and placed them layered on the shelf. We hung a wire with clips just below the shelf so they could hang their art. (as soon as it was hung Jude filled it up with art) That is also where I hung the sight words, which we work on at the desks. On the shelf I also added a cross stitch picture I made from one of my kids favorite books "Mary had a little Ham" I sketched it out from a drawing in the book. I may share a tutorial on that someday but I made this one long before the blog was around.

On the opposite side of the room is their "play area" it is also the wall with the wall mural, playful and fun. 
So in the end I had one goal in mind for the playroom, a place my kids could create, play, and learn. I wanted it to be bright, colorful and inviting. Since it is now one of the most favorite rooms in the house (by everyone) I would say it was a success. Thanks for letting me share the playroom!

Tutorials from Playroom Series:
Butterfly Pillow
Beetle Pillow
Sight Words Printables
Wall Mural

No comments:

Post a Comment