Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I {heart} You tee

Looking for the perfect Valentines day gift? Check out Dolce Dreams. As seen on MarthaStewart.com she has the most beautiful and perfect gifts for the people you love!

 So yesterday we were over at icandy for pink week, and we shared something that wasn't pink... so naturally today's top is pink. If you have been around the blog for awhile you may have noticed that pink is not my color. Abbey is getting older now and she has decided that she likes pink. So when I came across the super stretchy comfy pink and white knit at Joanns, I decided I had to finally make Abbey something pink. (I am a good mom that way) I also made a style that was a nice loose tunic so it will fit her for a while, since she grows like a weed.
 Perfect for Valentines Day with cute little hearts and shiny glam.
 Everyone needs a little jewelry for the holiday. It is also perfect for any other time.
 So the tunic is basically made like this one with a few changes along the way. Start with the fold at the top and the folded in half.
 Then for this one I used a tee shirt as my guide. I wanted the top to be gathered a bit at the neckline so I moved the tee over from the edge, and down a tad from the shoulder. Then cut the neckline.
 Next I cut the sleeve and then I had the top angle a bit down.
 Then using the tee as my guide I made a half circle neckline piece. (I switched the stripes for the neckline) Cut out 4 half circles.
 Then to stabilize the neckline I used fusible interfacing. Fusible interfacing has stretch one direction so I cut it so the stretch was up and down and then pressed it on to the back of all the half circles.
 Then sew 2 together at the shoulders. repeat with the other 2 so you have 2 circles.
 Then sew them right sides together. Use a stretch stitch if the neckline needs to stretch to fit.
 Then with right sides together sew one circle to the neckline. (gather or pleat to fit)
 Then turn it to the right side out and press the neckline piece to the inside. Using a double needle sew along the edge of the circle and the shirt.
 Next I cut out some hearts from some white knit and I ironed some interfacing to the back.
 I sewed them on with the double needle as well so it kind of gathers up the edge of the knit.
 A tip for hemming the sleeves if you use a small strip of interfacing on the edge of the hem allowing the stretch to go up and down it makes the knit easier to sew.
 Turn it under and sew with a double needle to get a nice finish.
 Then with the top right sides together (sorry no picture of that) Sew from the sleeve edge to the armpit and down the sides. Then turn the top right side out.
 I finished with some jewels from the jewelry section of the craft store. I sewed each one on by them selves so if one breaks they don't all fall off. Then since it is a choking hazard I was sure to use 5 strand embroidery floss and stitched them on several times to secure. I also added a little heart to the neck line.
 Then you have a cute little tee for your little one. You know so they can take up dog training...
 or dancing...
Or just looking sweet in pink. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment