Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An embroidered tee

 When I was in 4th grade our school had explore, which simply meant that for the last class of the day we got to sign up for an activity that would explore a talent. They had tons to choose from, juggling, drawing, calligraphy, and embroidery (there were more too but I don't remember them all) Can you guess what I choose? Yep even in 4th grade I had a love affair with needles and thread. I made a pillow case with an embroidered monkey on it. I LOVED that class and I still today LOVE all things embroidery. Have you ever noticed if something is embroidered it seems to cost twice as much? Ridiculous! Well not really if it is done by hand but most of the time it is just a machine. So why pay for it when you can do it yourself? Catch up on a show one evening and embroider away. (this tee was done in about 3 hours)
 Then you can be proud of your handy work, and well, just love the pop of interest. Who would have thought this was a 2 dollar tee? (or you could make your own, but this cute tee was just too cheap)
 Embroidery adds the perfect pop to an an outfit! So let's get started shall we? I have a few tips for adding embroidery to a tee (you know since it stretches)
 Start with interfacing. Lightweight interfacing has one direction stretch to it so you don't ruin the stretch of the tee but it does offer stability to the tee while you are stitching. You don't want the tee to get all warped when you are adding your design. I use the fusible kind since it is easy peasy. Just iron it down to the inside of the shirt where you want your design to be. (I traced the interfacing so you could see where since white on white is hard to see. Also I reversed sides later incase you think your mind is playing tricks on you it's not)
 Next draw, print, or trace your designs on to some paper. Words don't have to be reversed since you will trace them on the shirt from behind. I drew out some flowers and then cut out the designs.You could get some supplies at Office Depot crafts and print, cut and design it on paper.
 Place the paper cutouts behind the shirt and trace them onto the front using a fabric marker or pencil. (anything that the marks will come off) I like the disappearing ink because if I change my mind about the design a little water erases the marks. With the white shirt I could see my designs through the shirt quite well but if it is hard to see you can hold it up to a window to see the designs better.
 Next use a hoop. You don't want to stretch your shirt to get it in the hoop you just want it to be in the hoop nice and snug so the fabric doesn't pucker as you stitch. Move the hoop as you go making sure it is always snug but not overly stretched.
 Next let's talk thread. You CAN embroider with any thread really. I use embroidery floss usually and there is a difference. My favorite to use whenever I am going to do a satin stitch (filling in a design with really close stitches) is the cotton perle.
 It is a little more exspensive then the run of the mill floss but the strands are thicker and twisted together better so the finished look is a little better in my opinion.
 Then stitch away. I used a combination of stitches (shown in this post if you need help) The only stitch that wasn't shown was the satin stitch which is basically the same as the back stitch only they are next to each other side by side you just go back and forth close together to fill in the design (like you would if you were coloring)  In no time at all your design will be done.
 since I always wonder what the back should look like I thought I would show you, that for the most part the back looks like the front, especially for the satin stitch.
 That's all there is to it. A cute new tee.
 all perfect for a spring outfit... now if only spring would come.
 Abbey got upset during the photo shoot. She wanted me to take a picture of her "bracelet" (which is actually a hair thing she wears on her wrist) not a picture of her shirt.
So here you go. A photo shoot decided by Abbey...
Got to love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment