Monday, February 13, 2012

Maggie Button Down {from Maggie Mae Pattern}

 So I love when you have a pattern that can be remixed in many different ways to make a totally different garment. Like when I made Abbey a winter Jacket using the Abbey Jacket Pattern (a fall and spring jacket) So with the new spring patterns here I thought I would put them to use to make a few different things. Like a button down top for example. A perfect little staple to any little girls wardrobe.
 I love the curved yoke from the Maggie Mae tunic, and the sweet little gathered top and buttons... well it's love.
 So to make your own I used the Maggie Mae Tunic Piece Front and Back A. For the Larger sizes (like 7-10) You may want to cut the curved part shorter so it ends just under the arm opening since the actual tunic has a longer yoke than you may want for the button down top. Cut out as instructed for Front and Back A and then for the second piece I used some craft paper to draw out a piece (yes my kids drew on it) Follow the curve of the Front and Back A piece and extend it out a few inches so you have some extra room for the gather. Then Draw the "fold" line to match the fold line on the Front and Back A piece. Then you want the piece to be as long as you want the top to be and I did mine pretty straight with a slight curve along the bottom edge. Then cut 2 not on a fold at the full size of the pattern piece and then match up the fold line to the fold in the fabric and cut on on the fold.
 Follow the instructions from the pattern to complete the top portion. Then I added some embroidery. (which if I had thought about it before hand I would have added the embroidery before I sewed the facing to the front, that way the back of the embroidery would have been covered but I decided to add it after being inspired by Danielle's PR&P final project, which was after I had the top part all sewn, but worth it anyway) Then take the back shirt piece (the one cut on the fold) and gather a few inches of the middle together so that it is the same size at the curved piece.
 Sew them right sides together. Fit the curve as you sew which should be fairly easy since it is gathered and should curve very well.
 Then press it flat and top stitch the seam.
 Gather the front pieces the same way gathering a few inches in the middle so it fits the curved edge. Then sew right sides together. Press and top stitch like you did before.
 Then with right sides together sew the sides together from the arm opening down.
 Then turn right side out. Turn front edge under by 1/8 inch. Then turn it in again 3/4 inch. Top stitch all around the edges.
 Sew button holes on one side and buttons on the other. Then hem the bottom edge and you are done.
 A cute little top front and back.
 Which can actually be worn forward... with the sweet gather in the back and buttons down the front...
 or it can be worn backward for a different look and buttons down the back (one of my favorite things) Either way you can enjoy your top and be ready for spring...
Even if the weather is dishing you out the first heavy snow of the season... It was a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment