Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Be Nice" Wall Mural

Playroom Makeover Series
In case you missed the other posts from the playroom makeover check them out here:



Today I thought I would share the last piece before the "tour" of the playroom makeover. There was a large blank wall that I wanted to make a statement on. I wanted the kids room to be fun and playful and whimsical. The "be nice" is from a rule we have in our family and probably the thing the kids hear the most throughout the day. 
 The playful butterflies? They were inspired by all the pretty butterflies I found popping up on pintrest (which have also been popping up all over blogland good minds must think alike) and they tied in really well with the specimen art pillows which pulled everything together and added a fun pop of interest on the wall. I love the Girly aspect of the butterflies with the masculine color or the "Be Nice".  So here is a quick breakdown of how I did it.

For the "Be Nice" I bought paper mache letters. Then using acrylic paint I painted the front and sides of each letter. Let them dry and then I hung them on the wall with 3D foam Stickers, about 4-6 on each letter but 2 would likely do the trick just fine. I don't know how rough they would be on the wall if you are thinking of removing them sometime but I plan on leaving mine up for a good while. If you are worried about it you could use a 3M command strip or something close to that. The letters are super light weight so they hang well.
 Next for the Butterflies. I used my Silhouette to cut out the butterflies since it was easy peasy. You could cut them out with scissors just the same. Fold the paper in half and you will have a symmetrical butterfly. I used a variety of colors and sizes using all heavy cardstock. I like the textured paper found at the craft store. It added a great element. Then I folded up both wings so the middle was flat.

 I stuck on a foam sticker and they were good to go on the wall. Nice and secure. Much like the letters if you are thinking you will want to remove them, or if they are temporary then you could use tape or 3m command products that are easily removable.
I just scattered them around mixing up the colors as I went. I love the 3D effect from the wall.
As they take off across the wall.
It makes me happy to see, and I love the very simple reminder to just "Be Nice"

Tomorrow will be the "grand tour" of the new playroom. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment