Friday, July 15, 2011

The Classy top

Today is the last top in the 3 tops one bottom mix and match set. There was a long tunic, a shorter bubble and now I give you what I like to call the classy look. (cause nothing says classy like a little girl shoving a gummy worm in her mouth like it is sure to be her last :) I wanted a more tailored but still kid friendly look so I turned to my old friend stretch poplin.
With some crisp pleats and buttons down the front the top has the ease a child needs and the structure that reads classy. 
Making one is really easy so let's get started!



The top is basically just like the petal sleeve top, which is one of my all time favorite tops and sadly Abbey has outgrown it. So with a little twist we went sleeveless this time around. The two pattern pieces you will need are easy to make. For the bodice follow a top that is a little loose fitting (or add a little wiggle room) end it just under the arm. Then for the skirt piece cut out two rectangles that are anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times wider than the bodice piece. You will want 4 bodice pieces and 2 skirt pieces.

Now for the skirt part first. Sew with right sides together down both sides of the skirt. Then hem the bottom. Next I wanted to add something to the skirt I wanted it to be fairly modern so I decided on a silhouette.I did a search online for little girl silhouettes and found one I liked, Abbey loves dandelions so it seemed fit. Then I printed the silhouette and cut it out and I used that as my stencil for the fabric. I used a jersey knit that I ironed fusible interfacing to. Fusible interfacing helps it not to stretch while I sew. Then I did a hand stitch around the border. I added the dandelion myself since that detail was too small to cut out. Of course this could all likely be done with the help of the silhouette cutting machine or cricut cutter. But I don't have anything like that and cutting out by hand works just fine.
Next up the bodice. Start by setting two aside they are the front bodice pieces and then for the back pieces fold them in half and then on the side of the fold cut them so they angle from the shoulder down to the middle point. Then you should have 4 back pieces cut on the angle and 2 bodice pieces for the front.
Then start by sewing right sides together two back pieces to one front piece sew at the shoulders. Do this with both front pieces so you have two that look like the picture above.
Then with right sides together sew the two bodice pieces around the inside neckline edge and back angle and along the arm curve.
Then turn it right side out and press flat. You should be left with raw edges at the bottom edge and sides under the arm.
With right sides together sew the side seams and turn the seam to the inside.
Next line the bodice and the skirt up right sides together so the raw edges all meet. Match up the side seams from the bodice and skirt and match the middles up. (the back should just barely overlap) Then add pleats in the skirt to shrink it to fit the bodice. Sew in place.
Then you are really done, but I felt as if it were missing something...
I love buttons and so I decided it was the perfect touch and I sewed a few down the front of the bodice.
That's all there is to it, a "classy" top for you little girl to go mow the lawn in :)
It has the perfect little V in back. With some nice crisp pleats.

And because it is pleated it offers a nice fullness to the skirt, which I just love.

No comments:

Post a Comment