Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Neon+Neutral || Sundance Mini Dress

There are a couple things I love, the bright bright neon colors out there, linen, and See Kate Sew patterns. (also diet coke which makes a great sewing companion) When these are put all together the heavens part and angels sing.... well maybe not that extreme but it does make for a pretty stinking cute outfit.
About a year ago Kate sent me a copy of her Sundance top/mini dress pattern. I am kicking myself for not making it earlier, but I am loving it now! I have plans of making one for Penny as well since the pattern goes down to 3m!
I love that the mini dress as we call it :) which is awesome since it is a long tunic, or short dress, so basically perfect to pair with leggings or tights, the tights offer some coverage but the mini dress is long enough to cover the bum so there is no undies being exposed.
The design is nice and loose but it doesn't just look like an oversized shirt. It has shape and design and it fit perfectly on top so the style looks comfy and perfect. I love the big band along the bottom perfect for color blocking. The pleat in the sleeve is perfection. I opted to skip the ruffle along the front because  for Abbey that would just be a food catcher :) The girl is the messiest eater ever and mainly crumbly food. I didn't want the front to just be plain though so I mimicked the back cut out and added a pieced stripe appliqué to the front.  I may go back and add buttons which would just be perfection, but the simplicity is nice as well.
I made the 4T following the pattern exactly, except skipping the ruffle and I added inseam pockets (you can follow this tutorial for that) I love how everything came together, Kate has super clear and easy directions to follow, like I read through it and then I didn't even have to keep my computer up next to me, it's like the pattern assembles itself, well not quite but wouldn't that be a dream?
I love the tie in the back. It made me smile all day when I would see her running away, or riding her bike, it was just so cute to see that cute little tie and cut out.
The mini dress is the perfect little addition to Abbey's wardrobe. She loved wearing it since it is so comfortable and doesn't restrict playing or movement. Kids have to be free to be kids.

Guess what? You can buy any pattern from See Kate Sew and get 20% off any pattern
use the code: TWENTY at checkout

She has some really darling patterns for boys and girls here are just a few that are on my to do list: (click on the pictures to go to the pattern)








No comments:

Post a Comment