Friday, August 30, 2013

5&10 Designs

 A little while back the girls at Five and Ten Designs asked if I wanted to try out their new E-book. Naturally I don't turn down a sewing opportunity (or at least not often) I simply LOVE Five and Ten Designs, it's 5 super talented and amazing designers (Sewing Rabbit, Craftiness is not Optional, Elegance and Elephants, Girl.Inspired., and Delia Creates) They put together an e-book with 10 different designs! Ten! all based on the same concept, a simple bodice and skirt. It was love at first site. I gasped out loud a little when they first released it and I saw the breathtaking designs and the stunning photography. These girls have skills! They are each so inspiring.

 I made Look no.6. It was designed by Craftiness is not Optional,  I was head over heels for the bodice lines, I thought they were so cool and had a great effect. It is likely one of the more challenging patterns in the group with all the pieces, but the steps are so clear and easy to follow that before you know it you are done and the finished top is so so cute.
 I love the button closure in the back where I was able to add a pop of pink for the girl who loves pink. The only change I made to the pattern, I decided on a tunic rather than a dress so I just shortened the skirt by 4".
 I love the fullness and Abbey loves the twirl factor a full skirt has.
So why the e-book? Well besides the fact that there are 10 amazing and totally different designs included, the e-book is inspiring. They take one simple idea a bodice and skirt and they show you how to make totally different looks with it. If you are a beginner, no need to worry pattern pieces are included for the bodice and some bonus pieces for a sleeve, and pockets, as well as they always give you the measurements for skirt pieces. You can start with the basic dress, and then you can add a pocket or two, then a sleeve, then a collar. It's a great way for a beginner to stretch and grow. If you are more advanced be inspired by designs, learn something new, and mix and match to your hearts content it may just inspire you to take a bodice and make something completely different. They teach you that the sky is the limit and the book is so well laid out and with such fresh and different designs you will never be bored.

So go on over and check out Five and Ten designs, you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment