Thursday, November 1, 2012

Maggie Mae with Long Sleeves

 The Maggie Mae Pattern has always been one of my favorites, one question I get a lot is "how would I make it long sleeve? Is that even possible?" I have always answered with a "sure I think so just make the sleeves longer" But friends, now I know. It is possible, it is easy and it is adorable. Seeing how Abbey just outgrew her previous Maggie Maes I thought what better time than now to make a new one and try out the long sleeves.
 It was really easy to do and the sleeves end up cut almost on the bias so it would look really cool with a print, even though I did opt for a solid. (by the way I got the print at Hobby Lobby, in case you are wondering) So here is a quick, "how to".
 The only piece that needs altering is the Top bodice piece. Every thing else I left as is. Then I simply cut the sleeve by extending the edge out so it would be a long sleeve. You can measure or use a shirt as your guide for how long. I will also note the pattern has the top part fully lined, I opted to not line the long sleeve version so instead I made a neck facing instead, lining would still totally work and you would sew it just like the pattern instructs.

Another note. Abbey was previously wearing 2T, which she just outgrew... well they still fit just a bit short, I opted to make her the 4T this time for a little grow room and I wasn't sure how the sleeves would be. She is almost 4, currently wearing mostly 3T items and the 4T was perfect. So if you may want to go up a size when doing long sleeves? Or maybe add a little width to the sleeve you could drop the bottom edge to give more room in the sleeve and underarm.

 So as I was assembling the pieces I followed the directions mostly, but since I didn't line the top when I got to about this point I added neck facing to finish the neckline, then at the end I had to hem my sleeves. Then everything else flows together nicely.
 Same design and look with the buttons down the back, and curves and pleats. (oh also I forgot to add I added some piping along the top curve line just for a little something)
 Abbey loves her new purple and pink top... we just won't point out the other colors... :)
I hope that makes long sleeves make sense. They are very easy to add, and give a lot of added options for bringing the pattern into fall. 



Other re-mixes I have done of this pattern can be found here:
(click on the pictures)
  


No comments:

Post a Comment