Monday, December 31, 2012

Love is in the air Top {re-post}

While I am adjusting to life with the new baby, enjoying the holidays and snuggles I am re-posting many of my guests posts that never got posted here, so enjoy the "walk down memory lane" 

 Although I have to admit, Valentines day is not my favorite holiday, but with kids it's kind of a fun to get all giddy over hearts and valentines, and "love" related fun. I wanted to make my daughter a fun shirt for Valenties day that could be worn well beyond the 14th of the month.
 even with all the hearts and the love we can have the best of both worlds, by using non valentine's day colors like teal and gold.  So here are some tips to making any shirt into a cute valentines day friendly shirt.
 Recently Next Style sent me a sample pack of goodies to try out and among those goodies were flocked iron on letters. Perfect for adding a little "love" to the shirt. The Next Style products can be found at walmart.
 So I cut them out and ironed them on.
 Next for the hearts. I cut some hearts out of linen. Then using the hearts as your guide cut some hearts out of fusible interfacing.
 If you have never used fusible interfacing before no need to fear it. There are two sides of the interfacing a bumpy side and a smooth side. The bumpy side is the "glue" that sticks to the fabric when it is heated up by the iron.
 Place the smooth side down on the right side of the fabric.
 Sew around the edge and then either cut notches or trim the edge with pinking shears.
 Cut a slit in the interfacing.
 You can cut the slit as large as you need to be able to turn the heart right side out. Smooth all the edges.
 Then press the heart flat and the interfacing will fuse to the back. The heart will have a nice finished edge.
 Then place the hearts down where you want then and topstitch around the edges. Laziness won out on me and I didn't change thread but if you used matching thread you it would blend right in.
 Last thing I did was add a splash of buttons because everything is better with buttons.
 Then you have a cute little love splattered shirt.
Perfect for spreading the love and enjoying the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment