Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Brooch add-on

Remember the Prom Dress? Well we thought we would jazz it up a little with some bling and feathers, and hey how about some flowers? The girl I made it for had picked up the jeweled broach along with some matching jewelry from an antique store. I thought the broach was lovely and I didn't want to do anything that would be permanent to the broach. So I came up with a broach add on. It allows the broach to pin to the flowers and feathers and then to the dress, or the broach can be worn alone. 

The flowers are the rosettes I have shared before but the tutorial needed redone, so I thought I would show you again how I make these flowers. Start by cutting a long strip of fabric. The length and width determines the size of the flower. Then fold one corner of the strip.

Then ignore the dry old lady hands... and twist your fabric strip.

Then begin to wind the fabric around each other as you twist. The twists of folds of the fabric create the appearance of petals as you go along.

Keep twisting and wrapping until you are done with the strip.

Then using a needle and thread sew the flap at the end in place.

Then place the rosette flat on the surface you are sewing it to, in this case some felt. Secure the rosette in place by sewing it in random places until the whole thing is secure.

For this project I sewed three rosettes down to the felt and sewed some feathers under one of them. 

Then I cut off the extra felt around the rosettes. I left a spot in between two of the rosettes for the broach to pin in place.

Then I made two smaller rosettes and sewed them on top of the other rosettes to just build up the design a little. 

That's it then the broach pins in place.

(sorry for the blurry picture)
The broach then attaches to anything, but now with a little more pizazz.
The hint of bling really completed the dress.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment