Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A little Crocheted Dress {Free Pattern}

 Before sweet Penny was born I got the desire to start crocheting. My mom had taught me a few simple stitches (I know 2) about a year ago and then with a new baby coming I thought was would be better than a little crochet dress. I figured making a dress couldn't be too hard, I know how I would sew one, so I just kind of started stitching....Then I had a dress. I was going to share a whole tutorial, or a pattern and then it occurred to me I have no idea how to write a crochet pattern (let alone follow one) and teaching some one to crochet it probably not my strength. However I can kind of share my pattern for those of you who do know how to do some simple stitches and have a desire to crochet a dress.
 The dress is a simple jumper with fitted bodice, flared skirt and shoulder straps. Nothing too fancy and the whole thing was stitched with a single crochet. Now for the part where I try and share the "pattern" and hope I used proper terms you can actually understand.
 So, For the flared skirt, I started by deciding how wide I wanted the total width. I settled on 20 inches for a newborn size. I made my chain 20 inches long, Then I looped through to create a circle. I continued with the single crochet around in the loop one time around as a row. I switched colors every 4 rows so that I would have stripes. Then after 12 rows, I began the decrease for the more fitted bodice. I did this by skipping a stitch every two stitches. When I was at the desired width I went back to the regular single stitch. You will see the dress forming and I just continued until I was at the size I wanted for the dress to end right under the armpit. Then I added stitches just in the center front to create a panel for the chest. Then lastly I added two straps in the back until they were the length I wanted. (so detailed right?) Add two buttons and you are good to go.
Did you follow that at all? Maybe? One of these days I will figure out the proper way to right a crochet pattern. Crochet is a lot of fun and a great peaceful activity. Before you know it you have created a thing of beauty.
 Just as babies are comfy in cozy soft knits, they are just as cozy in warm crocheted dresses. I love how warm it is for winter layered with a onsie, and yet how cool it could be for summer worn alone.
It's so soft and cozy it makes cuddling with a little baby that much better :)

Tomorrow is the January Link Party!
Can't wait to see all the fun things you are working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment